Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A CANDID INTERVIEW WITH COMEDIAN EVANS BUKUKU

Just a couple of years ago, stand-up comedy were not very popular in Tanzania. In fact, it was almost non-existing. If it was, then it was done in very informal settings such as in the streets or local bars and not so much in prearranged settings whereby the audiences are well seated and eagerly waiting to be entertained and laugh to the point of shedding those tears of a good laugh. I am talking about the laugh that makes your entire body vibrate like a Samsung’s hand held gadget!

However, the above scenario of lack of organized stand-ups is changing or has changed. Thanks to one man who, according to his own words, he is almost on a “crusade” to change how and where we can go and have a good laugh. His name is Evans Bukuku.

He is now, by far, the new face or our own definition of Stand-Up comedy in Tanzania. He is best known for his once a month(every last Tuesday of the Month) smart and hilarious stand-up comedy routines  that features him making funny of almost everything in simple and  unique ways that makes everyone in the audience laugh hard (and I mean real hard).

He is also gifted with using a plethora of different voice impressions from the Jaluo, Sukuma, Chagga and you name it…all in the name of bringing real entertainment to his audience.

If you have never attended one of his events, mark your calendar. His next appearance is on Tuesday 26th June 2012 at Nyumbani Lounge which is located near Best Bite in Namanga area.

But before going to see him and even if you have seen him before and just can’t get tired of him, I thought we’d all like to know a bit more about him. I therefore tracked him down and he granted you (through me) this exclusive interview. Below are the excerpts;

Hi Evans! It feels great to have you on BC. Welcome. How is it going?

EB: Hey Jeff, thanks for having me. I’ve heard of your work and I am humbled to have this opportunity. I’m doing well (Thank God) but it’s still a rough road ahead. . .

BC: Since this is your first time on BC, I have to ask you this otherwise some of our own fans will be pissed. Where were you born and where did you grow up, schools you attended and anything you like to share with us about your history.

EB: I was born in Shinyanga, Tanzania; my father was in the mining business. I did pre-school there in Shinyanga, but at the age of four my dad was posted to London UK. I then studied there in South East England (really good schools) up until my O-levels, whereby my Dad was recalled to Tanzania. Then I studied in Iringa (really bad govt. school) and had the biggest cultural shock ever! (It just wore off last month!)

BC: Comedy is art. How has your life influenced your art? What influenced you to get into comedy? Is this what you wanted to do since childhood or you are one of those people who got themselves doing what they are doing by “accident”?

EB: Life hasn’t influenced my art, rather life IS my art, especially when it comes to Standup Comedy. All the anecdotes, jokes, observations and impromptu are just reflections of my life. My friends influenced me to get into comedy; at a young age (11yrs) I was told “you should be a comedian’ but I could never get enough courage to tell my dad (knowing African dads, that would be a short conversation) so ended up buffooning around friends, but having a different kind of persona when with family. I never got into comedy by accident, and ever since I officially signed up, my vision has never been clearer.

BC: How was your first experience as a stand-up comedian? Were you nervous? How did you prepare yourself for such an experience?

EB: My very first stand-up experience was in a church ;) . My aunt thought I could make a few people laugh, and I could do a good Onyango impression (Jaluo accent), so she ‘pushed’ me to standup and make people laugh. I tied a handkerchief on my hand then tried to make a joke about how I tried to wash my TV with soap and water. Precisely; it wasn’t funny, I mumbled a few things then went to sit down and forget about the whole episode . . .

Read more: A CANDID INTERVIEW WITH COMEDIAN EVANS BUKUKU - BongoCelebrity

No comments: